Born in 1939, Garner Tullis was educated at Principia College and the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied with the architect Louis Kahn; the sculptor Jacques Lipchitz; and such legendary figures of the New York school as Emilio Vedova, Robert Motherwell, Barnett Newman, David Smith and Mark Rothko.
After winning a Fulbright Scholarship which took him to Florence, he obtained a Fulbright Extension and Travel Grant for travel throughout Europe, and studied at Stanford University with Arnaldo Pomodoro and Nathan Oliveira.
In 1972, he founded the International Institute of Experimental Printmaking, one in a succession of workshops which have enabled him to collaborate with such famous artists as Richard Diebenkorn, Sam Francis, Helen Frankenthaler, Robert Mangold, Kenneth Noland, Dorothea Rockburne, Robert Ryman, Sean Scully, and William Tucker as well as hundreds of other painters and sculptors, includŽing many younger figures.
The first recipient of the Ralph T. King Award for outstanding contributions to printmaking of the Print Club of Cleveland, Cleveland Museum of Art, he has taught at Bennington College; California State College, Stanislaus; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Davis; and Harvard University - and worked extensively as a visiting artist in Australia, Europe, and South America.
He has had solo exhibitions of his own work at the Cleveland Institute of Art; the National Museum of Art, Belgrade; the Martha Jackson Gallery, New York; and numerous other galleries and museums.
His art is in the Cleveland Museum of Art; the Museum of Modern Art, New York; the San Francisco Museum of Art; the Philadelphia Museum of Art; and numerous other well known public and private collections.
Garner Tullis lives and works in Pietrarubbia.